Over the last couple of years, Facebook has become the go-to place to connect with people who are 3D printing enthusiasts. There are a ton of groups there dealing with almost every aspect of the 3D printing hobby - everything from discussions about the theory and tech behind 3D printers to manufacturer support to very specific uses for 3D printers like prop making and of course our niche, scenery and miniatures for tabletop gaming.
In fact, there are so many of these groups that it can be a little daunting to figure out where to start. If you're looking to learn more about 3D printing or researching specific printers before making a purchase, Facebook Groups are a great place to ask your questions. They will also give you a very good look into what the everyday issues are with a particular brand of 3D printer.
Today we're going to take a look at the technical side of things and give you some recommendations for Facebook groups that are general 3D printing and specific machine support communities. In a follow up article we’ll focus in on hobby-centric 3D printing groups.
We have this list broken into two sections. A brand specific section and a general 3D printing knowledge section. Note that this is by no means an exhaustive list. If there's a group you'd like us to add to this list, let us know via our Facebook page or email and we’ll update the list.
BRAND-SPECIFIC 3D PRINTER FACEBOOK GROUPS (listed in no particular order)
- ANET Group - Join this group for community discussion of ANET printers, in particular the very popular A8 3D printer.
- FLASHFORGE - Community built around FLASHFORGE printers and clones
- PRUSA I3 MK2 OFFICIAL - THE group for Original Prusa I3 owners. Josef Prusa and staff frequently respond to comments here and the community is very knowledgable and helpful.
- WANHAO DUPLICATOR I3 - If you have a Wanhao Duplicator I3, Monoprice Maker Select, Cocoon Create, PowerSpec or other variant of this printer this is the pace to join. Large, active, helpful group. If you don't do anything else, DO read the pinned post. There is loads of info here that’ll help you take this 3D printer from good to great.
- CREALITY CR10 - Rapidly growing group for this printer. Lots of info about popular upgrades and troubleshooting.
- FOLGERTECH - Unaffiliated with Folgertech officially, this large active group is the best place to go to to get info about these printers from the community
- TEVO TARANTULA - Also check out the TEVO LITTLE MONSTER and TEVO BLACK WIDOW Groups.
- WANHAO D7 - The place to go if you're interested in the up and coming Duplicator 7 rein printer. some of the Wanhao folks participate in this group
GENERAL 3D PRINTING FACEBOOK GROUPS
- 3D PRINTING - This is a huge (50,000+ members at the time of this writing) active group with all kinds of discussion around 3D priming. Great group to join if you're just getting into 3D printing.
- 3D PRINTING CLUB - Another very large group covering all facets of 3D printing.
- 3D PRINTER BUILDERS - Looking to build your own 3D printer? Start here.
- REPRAP - All about RepRap open source/DIY 3D printers.
- 3D PRINTER CHAT - linked to the very good 3D printing news site.
- MAKER HACKS - A great group that's not just focused on 3D printing. They cover Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Laser and pretty much anything Maker related.
- 3D PRINTER HOBBYISTS - Friendly group with lots of general discussion around 3D printing.
- 3D PRINTING CLUB FOR TEACHERS AND SCHOOLS - A great, friendly group focused on 3D printing for education.
As mentioned above, we’ll be back with another niche focused list in a few days. Which Facebook 3D printing groups are your favorites? If you know of one that you think should get added to this list, let us know so that we can check it out!